Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A bad week

On Monday night it was time to do my weekly long run, this week being 24km. I made a discovery that day though. Working all day (standing) then trying to run does not work for me. Stubborn me decided to try running after and it was a miserably disaster. I made it 2.5km out and was in pain most of the time. It was the time of pain that maybe only a runner will understand. You can run through it but it's not good to run through it. I ran a half marathon in similar pain (much worse though). To make matters worse for me at the time, since I'd been stubborn for so long (2.5km) it meant I had to walk back 2.5km. I was dressed for a long, hot run but not for a long, not so warm walk. My hands nearly froze by the time I got home and it was not a nice walk. I've never walked well. You could say I'm a bad walker, lol. I have bad posture or something.

I think that I was still a bit sore from my race on Saturday and it was just too soon. Since I have the 2nd part of this race on Saturday, I am forced to wait until next week to do a long run or I will end up injured for the rest of the season. Running 24km too close to another run is a bad idea for me. What I was feeling on my run was runner's knee, which doesn't worry me as much as the ITB pains. Runner's knee goes away for me but the ITB pain makes me have to stop running for awhile, then start all over again. So, I will just pick up my long run next week.

I'll be spending the rest of the week swimming and biking, getting ready for the triathlon. It's really frustrating not being able to run, but I have learned my lesson over many years of being injured. As soon as it hurts, stop. You have to stop and say do I want to run for the next 2 weeks or the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment